Pres. Jonathan’s Meeting with Chibok Parents
President Goodluck Jonathan’s proposed meeting with
the parents of the kidnapped schoolgirls and five of
the escapees has been cancelled. And President
Jonathan has accused the #BringBackOurGirls
activists for it.
Mr Jonathan had been due to hold his first meeting
with some of the girls’ parents on Tuesday following
an appeal by Pakistani rights campaigner Malala
Yousafzai. He had planned to meet 12 parents and five
girls who escaped shortly after being captured but
without giving any reason, the parents withdrew at the
Reacting to that, the President said in a statement:
“Unfortunately, political forces within the Nigerian
chapter of Bring Back Our Girls have decided to
take this opportunity to play politics with the
situation and the grief of the parents and the girls.
They should be ashamed of their actions. Those
who would manipulate the victims of terrorism for
their own benefit are engaging in a similar kind of
evil: Psychological terrorism,” he added.
Mr. Jonathan’s spokesman Doyin Okupe said the
president was “extremely distraught”.
“He cannot understand this. He cannot fathom this
– that Nigeria’s mothers will do this type of thing
for children,” Mr Okupe said.